MonsterVision is an American variety series that aired on TNT from early 1991 to September 2000. (There is no clear air date for the first MonsterVision but the oldest known video footage of the marathon is from 1991.) Movies were shown and a claymation style moon character narrated the bumper segments and served as the host. Later, Penn and Teller guest-hosted MonsterVision marathons featuring mainly old B-Movies from the 1950s and 1960s. From 1995 to 2000 Joe Bob Briggs (who hosted a similar program on The Movie Channel called Joe Bob's Drive-In Theater) became the permanent host of the series. This new version of MonsterVision featured mainly classic horror and schlock films from the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s.
Briggs went on to host MonsterVision for four years, before TNT executives decided to change the station's format to show mainly Hollywood films. Briggs has said he believes TNT showing fewer horror and drive-in movies may have led to the program's fall. On July 8, 2000, Briggs unknowingly hosted MonsterVision for the last time (showing Children of the Corn II: The Final Sacrifice). Days later, Briggs received a letter from TNT management, stating that "his services were no longer needed." Afterwards, the show returned to its original non-host format. MonsterVision was removed from TNT's lineup in early September 2000.
Since the cancellation, Briggs has remained an active speaker and writer, and has contributed commentary tracks to several DVDs. Support Joe Bob @ http://www.joebobbriggs.com/
I grew up watching two horror hosts, Commander USA and Joe Bob Briggs, and I love that there are so many MonsterVision (and Commander USA) videos on youtube. I wish I had time to watch them all but who does really. In the next 4 Halloween related videos, Joe Bob hosts (and pokes fun at) Halloween II, Halloween III and Friday the 13th. The films have been edited out obviously due to copyright claims. I'm not sure when any of these originally aired.
In these clips, Joe Bob looks at 1981's Halloween II:
Clips from the showing of 1982's Halloween III Season of the Witch and a visit a from the mail girl:
More clips from a different airing of Halloween III with repeat segments:
Here are clips from the first annual dusk-til-dawn "Friday The 13th" marathon on Halloween night. Parts 1-3, 5 and 6 were featured.
- 2001 Halloween VHS Recording of....
- 1995 Monster Mash: The Movie
- 1989 The Wickedest Witch
- 1998 Svengoolie - Halloween (1978) and Halloween I...
- 1995 A Spine-Tingling Look At Tales from the Crypt...
- 1985 CBS Storybreak - Witch-Cat
- 2012 There's Something Following Me
- 1930-1960 Spook Show Theater Trailers
- 2009 Wolfman Mac's Chiller Drive-In
- 1994 Walt Disney World Inside Out - October Hallow...
- 1994 The Norfin Adventures Castle of Doom
- 2007 Headless Horseman
- 1984 Elvira's MTV Halloween Special - Rockula Retr...
- 2011 The Dreadful Hallowgreen Special
- 1995 The Missionary Mice Adventures - True Hallowe...
- 1982 Bunnicula The Vampire Rabbit
- 1981 The Munsters' Revenge
- 1977-1981 Sha Na Na
- 1991-2000 Monstervision - Halloween II (1981), III...
- 1986 My Pet Monster
- 1987 CBS Storybreak - The Monster's Ring
- ▼ October (21)